04 July 2009

46th Air Capital EAA Chapter 88 Fly-In

The hot days of summer are quickly passing by. The local EAA Chapter 88 held its annual fly-in. Due to some logistic problems, this year's event was held in Newton, KS (instead of El Dorado, KS like in previous years). It is amazing how it can be severe clear all week long, then the weekend comes, and it pours down rain! Well, we just got rain in the early morning hours and it quickly moved out - left behind was some low clouds, but high enough the scud runners could make it in and still be safe. This year dad and I did not volunteer like we normally did. I had the wife and kids along this time so I felt obligated to spend my time with them. It was fun. I just wish more planes could have been there - I still question the logic of having this fly-in on the Fourth of July weekend.... anyway, here are some pics:

Started out by eating breakfast - we were so late that they only had enough pancakes and eggs for one order. We all shared.

There were Young Eagle rides being given for kids between the ages of 8-17 years old.




The Davis DA-2A - I hear it is a wonderful airplane to fly! Because of its "box-shaped" appearance, it many times goes unnoticed... so they say. I like it! Looks simple and to the point - and I hear the handling is like that of a Cherokee.

A series of RV's sitting on the ramp.

Here in Wichita there is a group of aviation enthusiast who are rebuilding the B-29 "Doc." Within the past month or so they started one of the engines on a test stand. I took a video of it during a start-up at the fly-in: Here is the link B-29 Engine Start

1 comment:

  1. Yes DAvis (DA2A) NSA> Nice Simple Aircaft

    Once said by Aviation writer Budd Davisson, all it really needs to finish off it's appearance is a paint can for a spinner.

    Budd also stated, one of the most overlooked Homebuilts.........CldLK-Tim Yahoo DA2A Group

    ReplyDelete