01 May 2010

Grass Roots Aviation

Douglass, Kansas was the place to be on May 1, 2010. This small grass strip is home of our famous Lawrence Alley - a USMC Skyraider pilot. EAA did a Timeless Voices video with him: http://www.eaa.org/video/timelessvoices.html?videoId=27504931001

This little grass-roots aviation event was very impressive! There were planes of all shapes and sizes. I did a fly-by earlier in the morning but was not confident enough in my landing skills to land on this postage-stamp sized runway. My father, me, and the kids drove 20 miles east of where I fly out of to join in on the fun. When we got there, they were taking a group photo. I let my dad and kids (far right side) get in on the pic as I shot my own.


Just an awesome C140 airplane in one of the hangars.

A little formation flying fun!

There was a neighbor/pilot at the event who lived just a few yards from the strip. He kindly invited us over to visit some of his family. This guy owned some interesting animals: Kangaroos, turtles, and exotic birds - WAY COOL for me and the kids!


Powered-parachute rides...

I love looking at planes in different stages of construction; especially after building a metal plane myself.

Here is the runway. I am not sure this picture does the actual length any justice in just how short this runway is.
We could only stay 2 hours or so... I wish I could have been there earlier, but it was wonderful day for flying. I spent all morning flying my Sonex... working on getting the 40 hours flown off!







No comments:

Post a Comment